November 9, 2016

Aging: The Top 9 To-Do List



I am a sucker for lists. To-do lists, productivity lists, how to be happy lists, the best movies in a foreign language list...doesn't matter. I like lists. 

A good friend sent me this list. A Google search identified the source as Assaly & Associates, a banking relationship management company, based in Lebanon. The original list included 21 items. I have shortened it to nine. If you'd like to see all 21 items, the original article is here.


1. It’s time to use the money you saved up. Use and enjoy it. Don’t just keep it for those who may have no notion of the sacrifices you made to get it. Remember there is nothing more dangerous than a son or daughter-in-law with big ideas for your hard earned capital. Warning: This is also a bad time for a [major] investment, even if it seems wonderful or fool-proof. They only bring problems and worries. This is a time for you to enjoy some peace and quiet.

2. Keep a healthy life, without great physical effort. Do moderate exercise (like walking every day), eat well and get your sleep. It’s easy to become sick, and it gets harder to remain healthy. That is why you need to keep yourself in good shape and be aware of your medical and physical needs. Keep in touch with your doctor, do tests even when you’re feeling well. Stay informed.

3. Always buy the best, most beautiful items for your significant other. The key goal is to enjoy your money with your partner. One day one of you will miss the other, and the money will not provide any comfort then, enjoy it together.

4. Don’t stress over the little things. You’ve already overcome so much in your life. You have good memories and bad ones, but the important thing is the present. Don’t let the past drag you down and don’t let the future frighten you. Feel good in the now. Small issues will soon be forgotten.

5. ALWAYS stay up-to-date. Read newspapers, watch the news. Go online and read what people are saying. Make sure you have an active email account and try to use some of those social networks. You’ll be surprised what old friends you’ll meet. Keeping in touch with what is going on and with the people you know is important at any age.

6. Respect the younger generation and their opinions. They may not have the same ideals as you, but they are the future, and will take the world in their direction. Give advice, not criticism, and try to remind them that yesterday’s wisdom still applies today.

7. Even if you don’t feel like it, try to accept invitations. Baptisms, graduations, birthdays, weddings, conferences. Try to go. Get out of the house, meet people you haven’t seen in a while, experience something new (or something old). But don’t get upset when you’re not invited. Some events are limited by resources, and not everyone can be hosted. The important thing is to leave the house from time to time. Go to museums, go walk through a field. Get out there.

8. Be a conversationalist. Talk less and listen more. Some people go on and on about the past, not caring if their listeners are really interested. That’s a great way of reducing their desire to speak with you. Listen first and answer questions, but don’t go off into long stories unless asked to. Speak in courteous tones and try not to complain or criticize too much unless you really need to. Try to accept situations as they are. Everyone is going through the same things, and people have a low tolerance for hearing complaints. Always find some good things to say as well.

9. Take no notice of what others say about you and even less notice of what they might be thinking. They’ll do it anyway, and you should have pride in yourself and what you’ve achieved. Let them talk and don’t worry. They have no idea about your history, your memories and the life you’ve lived so far. There’s still much to be written, so get busy writing and don’t waste time thinking about what others might think. Now is the time to be at rest, at peace and as happy as you can be!


Solid advice.


18 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I need something positive today. (But I am going to take a break from the news, 'kay?) -Joan in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have deleted all the news apps from my phone. I can't watch or read any of that for the foreseeable future. Glad you found this list positive.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this very thought-provoking list, Bob. (Like you, and so many others, I am also taking a much needed break from the news today).
    Donna
    www.retirementreflections.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planting pots in the backyard. Having my hands in the dirt keeps me grounded.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for a ray of Light this morning ,Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this...especially number 3 and 8. We saved and went without and just recently my husband bought me a car i never imagined owning. And you know what? I love that car! And we can afford it now without any guilt or without jeopardizing our future. And he loves to make me happy :) It's a good life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your car, and the love of your husband.

      Delete
  5. Great list, except perhaps lately, for No. 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wrote this today instead of a week or so ago, #5 would not have made the cut.

      Delete
  6. Nice to read something positive. I had to turn off a lot of my news connections, too. I'm hoping to be able to get off the floor soon. waaaah.
    --Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am supposed to go to the gym today but I am not sure I can stand looking at the TV monitors while I use the treadmill. By next scheduled day, Friday, I will have rebounded.

      Delete
  7. I had to just stay home all day and not speak to anyone. I'm also exhausted (#2!!! ) after staying up off and on most of the night--so I needed more than one nap. I did watch news and have been online.I feel I need to share the grief with a tribe. At least somewhat. Wondering if life will ever feel normal again. When stressed,I cook.Made a big pan of Ethiopian green beans and potatoes (vegetarian entree) and jasmine rice.Not much appetite though. Tomorrow is a new day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. President Obama has to meet with the man who spent several years questioning his birth place. I can't imagine that will be very pleasant.

      I have been in a funk all day, unable to handle any input.

      Delete
  8. I see that several folks, including you, are not completely devoted to #5 about the news. For a long time, I severely curtailed my news awareness. Perhaps I was ignorant, but I was much happier and relaxed! Over this election season, I tuned back in, and I have to say it did nothing for my well being. There were times when I felt like I was drinking something toxic. But it's like an addiction--once I started it was hard to stop, even though I could tell that it was not healthy. Sooooo, maybe I'll shorten the list to 8! Very committed to the rest--all great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you I couldn't stop #5 during the last year. It was like slowing for a car wreck that never ended. You know it isn't good for you put it becomes an addiction.

      After deleting all the news sites from my phone so I couldn't read them, I did find my battery lasted much longer today.

      Delete
  9. I especially like #2 and #7. I have always tried to keep healthy habits going but in the past few months my mom has been having major health issues and I can feel myself slipping as I try to help her as much as possible. In between times of crisis I am trying to get in short walks, stretching sessions, light reading, etc. I feel it is helping me to at least keep some measure of health for myself. I love the part of #7 where you said "go walk through a field". In August my husband and I found a wonderful place where you can walk around a sunflower field as the flowers were in all of their glory. The place is open all year long for walkers and while my husband does not really see the sense of walking around a field with flowers way past their prime, it does something for my sanity to just walk, remember, and know there will be a day again next year after our Wisconsin winter that will be as beautiful as that day in August. Thanks for this list and for your blog. I look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have to force myself to get out into nature. When I do I can feel myself breathe more slowly and become more in the moment. As our hot weather leaves I am now able to spend much more time outdoors, counting my blessings.

      Delete

Inappropriate comments will be deleted