July 17, 2016

What Can You Do When It is 118 Degrees?



Not much.

That was the question we Phoenicians asked ourselves last month when the thermometer hit 118, smashing the record for that date. Then, to prove it could, the heat, which had been above 110 for several days beforehand, remained above 110 for the next two weeks. In thirty one years of living in the Arizona desert, I don't remember a stretch that long of such deadly heat.

As an example of splendid timing, we had picked part of that time to be on a family vacation in San Diego. Daytime highs were nearly 40 degrees cooler than home. Nights required a light jacket.

We rented a condo large enough for eight of us, plus two dogs. Located just 4 blocks from the beach, our home away from home was perfect. Lazy days at the beach or riding bikes, nights around the outdoor fire pit, playing billiards in the game room, endless board games or Xbox, movies, reading, and meals together made us almost forget how hot it was at home.

The fabulous Balboa Park beckoned us with its museums and beautiful grounds. Sea World kept the grandkids enthralled for a full day. We squeezed in a trip to Seaport Village and Old Town San Diego.

Enjoy some pictures of our time together and be sure you make time for making your own memories this summer.


retirement vacations
Pacific Beach, CA

It may be July but the ocean is chilly!

I'll let brother and sister get cold!
Three fish out of water?

Rare quiet time for mom
Youngest daughter with her doggie!
Mom and Dad and the kids
Betty with Bailey



Quiet time at the end of the day
Say goodbye to another day

Time for a fire and relaxing at the condo
Making s'mores




A perfect tree for climbing

Playing at a park on the Bay

It is hard to not have a great time at Balboa Park






70 Things To Do When You Turn 70
I found one of my books in Seaport Village!

Love to see them reading

It is time to call it a night




22 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! Such a lovely family; how wonderful to be able to spend that time together. The home you stayed in is beautiful. I cannot imagine that kind of heat. Upstate NY is experiencing a near drought with very warm temperatures, but not 110! Think more like 80's. Not much rain in the forecast; feel bad for all the farmers. The corn in the fields near us is way past "knee high", but looking a little peaked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is normally our monsoon season with violent afternoon thunderstorms a few times a week. So far, nothing in July and no rain in the forecast through the end of the month. And, we are still above 110 virtually every day.

      Delete
  2. Looks like great fun was had by all. Meanwhile my sister, a Phoenician, took refuge in Flagstaff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty and I head to Flagstaff for a few days break next month. It isn't as cool as San Diego, but at least 25 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

      Delete
  3. Looks like everyone had a great time and enjoyed being together! I can't imagine that kind of heat. We're complaining about the 90's. Thanks for sharing the photos.
    b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the ocean water off Cape May is a bit warmer than the 69 degree water in San Diego. I took a bathing suit but never got it wet...too cold.

      Yes, it was a tremendous 7 days together.

      Delete
  4. Just beautiful! Exactly what we are supposed to be doing with a portion of our retirement-- making memories for all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your timing for a vacation was impeccable. What would I do if faced with 118 degrees? I think I would melt into a puddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd stay inside! Actually, once you pass 110 or so, you really can't tell the difference between that and 118...small consolation, I know.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a great family vacation.
    As we say here in Houston, you have a dry heat. I guess it is therefore not so bad. We are having our first rain in about 5 weeks, since our heavy flooding earlier this year. The 1/2" rain today is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humidity tends to be under 10% unless the monsoon moisture is flowing up from Mexico. Even so, don't let the "dry heat" sales pitch kid you...it's hot!

      Delete
  7. I love seeing visitors having a great time in my home town! Reading about the temps in Phoenix makes me even happier to live in San Diego... yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both my daughters lived in San Diego for a time, and two of my grandkids were born there. Betty and I have been to your town enough times to qualify for part time resident status. It is extra special at this time of year and, luckily, is only a 6 hour drive away.

      Delete
  8. I loved seeing all the photos! Thanks for posting those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice family photos! That 118 degree heat prompted me to make this summer my last full summer in Arizona. Next year I'm renting via VRBO, "Sharon's Garden Cottage by the Sea" in Laguna Beach for a full three weeks beginning July 19th. In the meantime I'll have to make do with a couple of long weekends to CA to get me through this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been at that point for the last few years, with being somewhere else for 4 weeks throughout the summer months. Next year it may have to be more.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful family holiday! I really enjoyed the holiday time I spent in San Diego with my children when they were young - it is lovely there.

    Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of the traffic, but it is easy to understand why so many people flock to the city.

      Delete
  11. Nice pictures! I love San Diego.
    I lived in Arizona for three years, fortunately in the Huachuca mountains where the altitude kept it relatively cool. We visited Phoenix a few times. It was around 100 degrees at 10 pm when we were there once ... wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this time of summer our nights never get cooler than the mid 80's, so cooling off is a dream.

      Delete

Inappropriate comments will be deleted