February 20, 2016

Wearing a Hat - Breaking Free


A short post about a hat? Yes, but not for the snappy head covers, rather what they represent. During the Palm Springs Film Festival last month I bought two hats. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it was the creative vibe in town. Maybe my head was cold. Or, maybe, I wanted to try something different and a bit out of my comfort zone. What someone spends on vacation doesn't "count" toward the budget, so why not?

Except for baseball caps and protection from the sun I don't wear hats. I just never have. I  don't see myself as a hat person. There aren't many places in town where one would not look a little silly. 

Even so, one afternoon Betty and I found ourselves in a hat store in downtown Palm Springs. After trying on a dozen different chapeaus (that's hat in French!) I settled on the two you see pictured here.

I wore one to dinner that night and seemed to fit right in. I wore the other hat part of the way home and heard no giggles from Betty or folks at the various rest stops we visited. We are going to a symphony concert in a few days and I will probably wear one of them. 

So, what's the point? Something as simple as a change in wardrobe, a change in routine, even a change in worrying what others might think, frees you up to experiment, to add a dash of difference, to maybe find something you like.

A satisfying journey through retirement often requires an adjustment. That could be a major change, like where you live, the place of possessions in your life, a new passion or focus, even a change in or renewal of relationships. Or, it it could be a simple adjustment: less TV in the evening, more vegetables and less meat, walking to the neighborhood mailbox instead of driving, not reading Facebook or email until after breakfast.

We tend to resist change. Routine is comforting and reassuring. But, change is part of life and should be welcomed, not avoided, even if it is as simple as wearing a hat.






16 comments:

  1. As a rule, I'm a creature of habit, but shaking life up (once in a while) can be such a good thing. Lately, we have been eating differently--less meat and more vegetables--and liking the results. I've always wondered whether the health claims associated with eating fermented veggies were actually true, so I learned how to make fermented cabbage from youtube, and discovered that those claims are accurate! Change can be very good for us. This old girl wants to keep on learning.

    BTW, you look sharp in both hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. I lean toward the smaller one at the top of the post, while Betty likes the larger one.

      I am unaware of "fermented vegetables." I'll have to check that out.

      Delete
  2. Very dapper. I'm stuck in the baseball cap phase of life. Perhaps like you I should broaden my horizons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an East Coast kind of guy so a dressier hat would probably be a perfect fashion statement for you. Certainly on trips to Florida you would fit right in at a beachside restaurant or cafe. If nothing else, when you are writing for USNews and WR, wear a hat!

      Delete
  3. I suggested to my wife, not 2 weeks ago that I would like to wear a hat. Beret? Baseball? Fedora? Duckbill? Cowboy? Whatever? Have not made a choice yet nor even made the move to try one on but your column today just sparked the juices. That was fun just thinking about the choices. Will make a move and let you know! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Guys don't have nearly the fashion choices that women do, in terms of hairstyles and colors, jewelry, etc. Hats are an easy way to break out of the everyday.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Bob - It's great to know that money spent on vacation does not count on the budget (as we are currently on vacation -- and headed towards Palm Springs -- this is very timely advice)! (:
    PS - both hats look great! We will have to check out that hat store when in Palm Springs!
    Donna
    www.retirementreflections.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vacations and budgets, not a good mix. The hat store is downtown near the statue of Sonny Bono and Ruby's Diner.

      Delete
  5. Good choices. Some people are definitely "hat" people. I guess I'm not one of those. Every time I try on a hat my wife laughs. Says she can't help it. But you're a natural. By the way, remember that hats have their own set of etiquette rules. I've noticed men have a harder time with that. Here's a good summary: http://emilypost.com/advice/hats-off-hat-etiquette-for-everyone/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out the link. I am not comfortable wearing one in public yet.

      Delete
  6. Looking good in your hats. My big change is wearing suspenders (braces to your European and other readers). So far mine are under cover in the cold weather. They'll come out for all to see soon. I resisted them for a long time, contending they were part of an "old man look." Not anymore. The young guys are sporting all sorts of stylish models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried them for awhile, paired with a three piece suit while on business trips. I decided I didn't like the look so off to Goodwill they went.

      Delete
  7. The hat looks very dapper! Isn't it wonderful how vacations make a person feel freer to venture out of our comfort zone. Another very valid reason why we need to vacation at least now and then to "shake things up a bit". Being a creature of habit isn''t necessarily a bad thing.....but trying new things sure can spice things up and open up our hearts and minds up to many beautiful and fun things we just might be missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, all those great pluses just from a hat!

      Delete
  8. I will be seeing that hat at the end of this week...right?

    ReplyDelete

Inappropriate comments will be deleted