September 24, 2015

A Magic Time At The Magic Kingdom

Disneyland 60th Anniversary

Is it possible to have a bad time at Disneyland? Maybe, but you won't hear that from me. Betty and I are just back from our second trip to "The Happiest Place on Earth" in the past 10 months. With the grand kids, two daughters, son-in-law, and both of Keith's parents we formed quite a troop - 10 fun-seekers.

Armed with three day park hopper passes we managed to thoroughly cover both Disneyland and California Adventure. A mix of hot and sunny weather with some drenching downpours left us alternately steamy and soaked. We loved every minute of it. I kept a close eye on my heart rate and had no problems, thank goodness.

There is something very special about experiencing the parks through the eyes of youngsters. As an adult I would not normally decide that a 60 minute wait for a 60 second ride makes much sense. But, when a grandchild has a firm grip on your hand and makes it clear he (or she) wants to ride with you time isn't really an issue.

The drive to and from L.A. reminds me how thankful I am to not experience that type of freeway traffic very often. But, being less than seven hours away does make the trip an easy one and an important part of my satisfying journey.

Betty snapped thousands of photos to add our stock of memories. Enjoy some of her pictures taken during Disney's 60th anniversary celebration and our time together.





California Adventure







Reaching for Grandad's hand - priceless




What is the wait time on the next ride?









Disneyland character


Always look for the orange cap if we ever get separated!



Loving my ice cream

Me, too

Anyone have a wipe?

The girls and their beloved aunt

Rain doesn't slow us down

Is Betty tall enough for this ride?

Mary and Tom (Keith's parents)
Our daughters


And, the satisfying journey through retirement continues.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your pics! They certainly captured the happiness and joy of your experience. Spending time with your loved ones is something to be cherished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grand kids are the perfect ages to fully enjoy the park. When we went last Christmas time, the two girls were too short to go on some of the rides. This time, everyone was properly sized!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post & pics! Betty is, as always, an awesome photographer. Disneyland is one of my favorite places; I was debating about a trip there myself during the 60th anniversary and, yet again, am so glad you are posting so I could go vicariously.

    thanks again!

    pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parks are still a treat for adults. With use of the Fastpass option even the waiting in line becomes doable.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful family! The kids are adorable. Thanks for sharing.
    b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family is such a blessing--and spending time with young ones is the best time of all. Happy for you and glad that your feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing to compare withe the love from a young grandchild.

      Delete
  5. What a great trip and memories for all! Thanks for sharing! Your lifestyle change seems to agree with you...looking healthy!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still fighting to lose the last 5 pounds, but not stressing over it..that is the trick. Oh, and no potato chips or hot dogs!

      It was a fun trip. Thanks, Robin.

      Delete
  6. We are newly retired [severe health problems for both husband and self] with very little money, and we are having the time of our lives so far. Somehow [ too young for social security, ssdi can take a few years, and we lost virtually all of our money 7 years ago trying to save an extremely ill child. He is doing much better and he was given NO hope] we are not only "getting by" but actually thriving. We are living on about two thousand a month, which leaves us with a little extra money to put away. So much of what we have learned has been from your blog. I have learned that we have not only enough money for our needs, but enough for our "wants" as long as we stay away from "everyone does this." While I am not tending my garden, andcaring for my chickens, playing [take it every way] with my husband, enjoying my grandkids, and working as an Autistic activist, I am planning my next cruise. We are new in our neighborhood, and we have already convinced the neighbors to get involved with each other in a caring and sharing way. Also, I used to belly-dance. Now only my husband appreciates it [ he still finds me beautiful because he looks at me through the eyes of love lol] but I used tto be able to flip coins on my belly. I started practicing 2 days ago, and I did get one sad little folding of a line of quarters. but, that's how it starts.I will keep practicing, and if nothing else, I will gain core strength without boredom. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just so you know, I have never been able to flip quarters on my belly, no matter my age. Good for you!

      Thanks for sharing some of your story. Bringing wants in line with needs and resources sounds rather simple, but too many folks get that sequence backwards. You have had a very rough patch but sound as though you and hubby have weathered that storm and are doing well. I am happy this blog has been helpful to you as you begin the retirement journey.

      All the very best to you and your family.

      Delete
  7. Nice pics. And as you suggest, the key to Disney is not the rides; it's the kids. So as soon as, or if we ever, get some grandchildren, "We're goin' to Disney!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never grows old. Next year, after they have added a new Star Wars land, it might be on our radar again.

      Delete

Inappropriate comments will be deleted