Donna Sapolin is the managing editor and regular contributor. Last December she authored a post based on a photographic essay of old dogs, and the lessons they can teach humans. Our dog, Bailey, is 3 years old. One of our daughters recently added a dog to her household. So, when I read Donna's article I was already open to part of its message: that there are six admirable characteristics of dogs that human would be wise to consider:
|Adler Jean Lowry (our daughter's cocker puppy)|
1. They live totally in the moment. Dogs have a very different concept of time than we do. If you have ever owned a puppy you know that to be true. It may be bedtime for you, but the puppy can't read a clock. If he is ready to play, then so are you. Whatever happened earlier today or yesterday is forgotten. They instinctively grasp the importance of now.
2. They never stop expressing love and devotion. Whether you are gone from home for 30 minutes or three hours, the tail wagging and pure joy is the same. What if we were the same (without the tail-wagging) with the important people in our life?
3. They do what they love to do. Dogs don't use excuses. If she wants to run, chase birds or a Frisbee, there is no consulting a calendar or checking a clock. There is no time like right now to do what she loves.
4. They don’t use a physical problem as an excuse. A dog never says, "I have a headache", or "it was a tough day at the park, I think I will just sleep now, if you don't mind." Their human owner offers, they accept.
5. They stay as active as their body will allow them for as long as they can. An old dog will move more slowly and spend more of each day sleeping, but he will still want to greet you upon your return home and still want to play. There is no quit with a dog.
6. They don’t fear death. Of course, dogs don't have a concept of what it means to die. They can't think about the future in that way, so they don't. Life is meant to live without playing the 'what if" game.
|Bailey understands the importance of naps|
The original article is here: Next Avenue: Six Admirable Characteristics of Dogs