July 15, 2013

Living a Satisfying Retirement: What Would You Tell Me?


  "What is the one question you’d like a retired person to answer for you?"

As the final question included in my newest book, Living a Satisfying Retirement, I thought this would be a very interesting way to wrap things up. Asked of those who have yet to retire, I wondered if there was one key question that was central to a pre-retiree's concerns.

Whether the question was about finances, how to best spend one's time, or knowing when to stop work, the underlying query was really the same: looking to ease a feeling of uncertainty. Retirement can be a radical shift in our lifestyle. It comes with no guarantees. It is only natural we'd like to be sure of the terrain before we leap.

Here is a sampling of some of those questions my respondents would love to pose to those who have gone before:
  

Tom S. How does Medicare work, along with the supplemental health insurance plans? It all seems very complicated.
Caroline G. Why is it so scary to let go? Fear of the unknown? I’m looking forward to retiring, but there’s a nagging feeling out there that it’s final. I know from being laid off in the 90’s that it’s not easy getting rehired when you are older.

I’d like to know why it seems like so many “old” people become bitter and negative, and then you have those “rare” old people who are enthusiastic about life, stay positive and keep fit. Is that something the positive-minded person has to really work hard at? Did they make a deliberate decision to not complain about their aches and pains, and to see the world as a beautiful place? Or is this how they were all their life?
Clifford Y. Has it been everything you expected it to be? I enjoy asking people this, particularly with all the press fixated on the fact that "no one will be able to retire" until they are 70 or older. I see the opposite so I like the reinforcement that successful retirees can give me.
Mary M. I am interested in what other retired people are doing, particularly how they are managing their money and spending. But everyone's situation is unique, and I am depending on my own inner wisdom to create the retirement that is right for me.
Stuart H. I would ask a retired person the following question: How do you manage your finances so that you make sure that you do not run out of money?

Janice N. How did you identify activities/goals that provide the same satisfactions you received from work? In my case those were using my education & experience, socializing, making a contribution, complex problem solving, etc.
Jeff F. If you could have retired earlier than you did, would you have and why?
Dennis K. Do you ever miss the sense of purpose that full time work provides?
Don B. While everyone does their best to prepare for retirement from a financial aspect, what have you done to prepare yourself for those non-financial aspects of retired life? How will you keep busy, engaged, and passionate about a life away from work and the relationships on the job?
Charlotte C. How do you schedule/plan your day/week/month? What criteria do you use to schedule activities?
Garnet S. I wonder if there’s an “adjustment period” and how long it lasts. Also wonder about good sources for Medicare/insurance info.
Cindy B. I wonder how much time retired persons usually spend planning for their retirement, including talking things over with their significant others. And, after retirement, did they feel like they may have talked about it too little, or, possibly, too much? I sometimes think all the talking that my partner and I do makes us forget that ultimately events are unpredictable, and we get a false sense of security.
Terri C. How do you know – is it a feeling or a whisper in your ear that it’s time to retire. especially for people who like their jobs? I don’t want to regret my decision.
Belinda P. Is it better to be retired and living on much less income - or do you regret not waiting a while longer and building your nest egg?


This is a sampling of the answers to just this one question. Nearly two dozen more provide the same thoughtful and helpful guidance for you, whether you are already retired or still moving in that direction. Living a Satisfying Retirement provides real life insight from those already living and planning their own retirement journey.

I hope you'll consider buying a copy for you, a family member, or friend. It could be the best $2.99 you have invested in living a satisfying retirement.

If you have bought the book, read it, and found it useful, I'd appreciate your adding a review on the Amazon page where the book is sold. Positive feedback from readers is the most powerful form of advertising there is.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Bob,
    Retirement planning isn’t something most people consider fun, but it is a necessary task, especially with the uncertainty surrounding the future of Social Security. However it's a nice post. Thanks.
    Powerful Free Online Retirement

    ReplyDelete

Inappropriate comments will be deleted