May 13, 2013

Living a Satisfying Retirement Just Published!



I am proud to announce the publication of my newest book, Living a Satisfying Retirement. Now available on Amazon, this book is a follow up to Building a Satisfying Retirement, published two years ago.

Living a Satisfying Retirement is a project that took a small village (to steal a phrase from somewhere) to produce. Over 50 folks were gracious enough to fill out an extensive questionnaire during the summer of 2012 and allow me to reproduce their answers.

Both those already retired and those moving toward retirement participated. Each was asked questions about his or her plans, likelihood of moving, the effect on important relationships, what financial planning had taken place, and how a day without a job would be filled. To protect particpants' identities, I used fictitious names, but the answers you will read are just as they were submitted.

The answers were open and forthright. Frankly, after almost three years of blogging, I was pretty sure the answers wouldn't surprise me. I was wrong in several instances. The answers dealing with creativity, the range of interests and activities cited, and the effect of the last several years of a poor economy were not what I expected.

Is this new life what they expected? What good was all the planning they did ahead of time? What bumps (or giant sinkholes) may be waiting for them up ahead? What is their daily life like without a paycheck and a place to go every day?

How about those who haven’t retired yet? What are their biggest worries and uncertainties? What questions would they like to ask of someone who has been retired for a time? Another group completed a series of questions to help answer these questions and concerns.

A partial list of the questions asked include:


* How long have you been retired?
* Was it your choice to stop working? If so, why did you stop when you did?
* What do you miss the most about your old job or career?


* How much of your pre-retirement income are you living on?
* How much did you plan for what you wanted to do when you retired?
* What are your favorite parts of retirement?
* What are your least favorite parts?
* How do you fill your days? Are you ever bored or does your time fill up?
* What effect did retirement have on your important relationships?

For those not yet retired, some of the questions (and answers) include:

* How much longer do you expect to work before retiring?
* What are you most looking forward to when you retire?
* What are you most concerned about?
* Do you have hobbies and interests that you expect to spend time pursuing?
* What effect do you expect retirement will have on key relationships?
* Are you likely to move soon after retirement?
* What is the one question you’d like a retired person to answer for you?



Whether retired or planning for it, Living a Satisfying Retirement is written to give you a tool that is indispensable: advice from real people living the life you dream about.


The book is available in the Kindle format at Amazon. If you don't have a Kindle reader, Amazon provides free software for your computer or smart phone to allow you to benefit from the life experiences of these folks.


Priced at just $2.99, the sale of this book will help me keep this blog financially viable. I run very little advertising, so income from freelance writing and this book pays the bills. I hope you will consider a purchase today.

That being said, if you can't purchase the book at this time, I deeply appreciate your continued support for the Satisfying Retirement blog. I love being here for you and building a community of those who believe retirement is one of the best times of our lives.

To buy a copy now, click Living a Satisfying Retirement.

If you live outside the U.S. be sure to use the Amazon site for your country, like Amazon.ca  for Canada. The book is available for immediate download in virtually every country in the world.

Thank you!



45 comments:

  1. Congratulations Bob, looking forward to reading your latest creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RJ. I'm no Wills Rogers, but I'm glad I can say it is finally finished.

      Delete
  2. Purchased! And congratulations! And Thank You for your generosity in maintaining this blog.

    I'll be sharing/promoting this on my blog as well in the next few days. And Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Tamara (and Mike!). Enjoy the rest of your Bay area vacation.

      Delete
  3. Hi Bob, this is great. I would love to promote it on my website, retirewow.com. I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my total support for promoting it on retirenow.com. That would be great.

      Delete
  4. Put a nice link to amazon up so readers can purchase right from your website! I am going to go buy this now! I want to support your efforts in this blog..Ken and I get a lot of info and encouragement from your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duh--I just FOUND the link on the left side of the page! Thanks for the book,Bob!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red Amazon in the first part of the story also provides a direct link. Thanks for your perseverance in finding a way to buy the book. I hope you and Ken enjoy it.

      Delete
    2. Bob, Madeline's suggest is valid - you might want to consider adding a second link at the bottom of your post. One should make it as easy as possible for buyers to locate one's product!

      Delete
    3. I have just added an additional link at the end of the post. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  6. Bob, Congratulations; best of success! Just bought it and loaded to the Kindle. Good timing; I have a couple of flights this week to dig into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fly safely, Chuck, and I hope you enjoy the book. You are in it...can you figure out which "name" is yours?

      Delete
  7. Hi Bob. Thanks for this blog! I don't comment very often, but I really enjoy your posts. I just purchased your book and can't wait to read it!

    I just retired 4 months ago, and am finding my way. So far so good. I left behind a very rewarding job. But the stress from the level of responsibility that I had was weighing heavy on me. I'm so glad to be able to let that go. I now have time to do the things I love, including lots of reading, and leading a very physically active life. I can't wait to read your book; thanks to your blog, and several others I follow, I feel I have a good head start on a satisfying retirement.

    By the way, I'm from your former temporary digs, Syracuse. We managed to escape 6 weeks of winter this year by going to FL. Next year it will be 2 months, and eventually 3 - 4.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Syracuse. Yes, I lived there for 6 years while going to Syracuse University and then stayed for radio work. That was a very important time in my life where I learned what I needed from some of the radio stations I worked for(WOLF, WNDR).

      SU has a beautiful campus, but during my days we suffered at football games at old, outside Archibold Stadium. Concrete seats in a driving snow storm....fun! Of course, as a fraternity member I was probably warmed by some "adult" beverage.

      Delete
    2. Wow, you are bringing back some memories with WOLF and WNDR. Paul Niemiec was a friend of my parents and I believe was one of the managers at that time for WOLF. In high school, those were considered the cool stations to listen to.

      Downtown Syracuse is making a valiant attempt to revitalize. I'm not sure it will work. Most people live in the suburbs. The big controversy now is whether to tear down route 81 through the city, forcing people to drive through the city instead of over it, or instead to just rebuild it (it needs a lot of repair). Traffic will be unbearable for commuters if they tear it down.

      Football games are now inside at the dome, so much more pleasant!

      Delete
    3. If you remember "The Real Bob Sherman" on WOLF then we have a connection. I did the 7pm-Midnight shift for a year until moving to 3-7pm. WNDR involved weekend work before all that.

      Yes, at the time WOLF, The Big 15, was the station to beat.

      Delete
    4. Yes I do! I had to shake around some cobwebs in my brain, but I remember! Other big names of the times:Bud Ballou, Don Bombard, Dandy Dan Leonard. I remember the small transistor radios we carried around, and at the time they seemed so high tech!

      Delete
    5. Don Bombard was my boss at WNDR. Jim Sims (a name you probably remember) was the man who hired me at WOLF.

      Delete
  8. Wow! It must be very rewarding to see such an ambitious project come to a successful conclusion. You inspire a newly retired person like myself, to take on new challenges, to keep a positive attitude and to give of our time and resources to others. We can really make a difference, and life can be more fulfilling in this stage of our life than ever before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book project took about 5 months longer than I thought it would...at one point last fall I became sidetracked and put everything on hold. But, now it is done and I am happy.

      I hope it contains some excellent food for thought from the great folks who were interviewed and allowed their thoughts and ideas to be shared.

      Thanks for your comments, ETC.

      Delete
  9. Yay YOU! Great job. I'll pass this around.
    b

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bob, I've been reading your blog for several months now and just purchased your book this morning. I've read through the first three questions and find it very interesting. I took an early retirement from teaching about six years ago, but since we were never dependent on my salary, haven't really felt retired. My husband is making plans to retire possibly next year, so we are hoping to glean lots of insight from the folks you interviewed. Can't wait to get to the question about the percentage of pre-retirement income they are living on now. That's our biggest concern. Thank you for your great blog. I look forward to every new post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and hubby find both the encouragement and information to make the leap to full retirement as tremendously rewarding as I have.

      A sneak peak...50% seems to be a common answer.

      Delete
  11. Okay, I'm heading over to purchase your book for my Kindle, Bob. I will especially enjoy snooping the financial aspect of living on less money than prior to retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answers to that question are fascinating because they are so varied. Enjoy the book.

      Delete
  12. Fantastic news! I'll be downloading it to my son in law's Kindle while I am on baby watch in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it won't put you to sleep while you are on baby watch!

      Delete
  13. Congratulations!! I wish it were in hard copy so I could get a signed copy. You'll just have to sign something for me when you visit this summer. I'm sure this is a treasure trove of wisdom and good advice. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish publishing a printed version wasn't so expensive. I'd have to sell hundreds of copies just to break even, whereas with the Kindle version I've sold enough to cover my costs. The book isn't meant to make money but it isn't supposed to lose it either!

      I'll sign the back of your Kindle!

      Delete
  14. Just downloaded it to my iPad for the airplane ride home from Hawaii. That way I can blog about it when I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just finished the new book, and enjoyed it. We hope to retire in 1-2 years, and it gave us many things we need to think about and discuss during that time. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. If you liked it I'd appreciate your adding a short review to the Amazon page where it is sold.

      As you move closer to retirement, please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you'd like to discuss anything that concerns you.

      Delete
  16. Bought the book today and am already on question 10.......very interested in how people plan their days (or not) in retirement. Some friends panic if the calendar entry for the day is blank......and others, like me see that as one of the big perks of retirement....all those hours to fill any way I want or not fill at all.
    Really enjoying the book.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen. As I was putting the book together I found the responses to be fascinating. I was stimulated by many of the ideas presented for my own life. How people fill their time is so varied!

      One favor: when you are done I'd very much appreciate a review on the Amazon page where you bought the book. Feedback from real readers is always very powerful.

      Delete
  17. Just bought the new book and look forward to reading it. I really enjoy your blog, as it gives me much to consider. I loved " Building a Satisifying Retirement", which really helped my transition to retirement 12/31/12. My next adventure is my new puppy coming on 6/11/13. I hope to train the pup as a Therapy dog for visitation at nursing homes and assisted living facilities. I worked 40 years in health care and feel that I would be helping a real need.
    Diane, Long Beach, CA

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your active support, Diane. I'm not sure if there will be a third book in this series, but the first two were fun projects.

    Baily, our cocker spaniel, has added so much to our lives since we get her in March 2012. Your plan to train your pup as a therapy dog is excellent. I've read several articles that talk about how positive dog visits can be to those in nursing facilities.

    Keep us up to date on your puppy adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Inappropriate comments will be deleted