August 25, 2011

The Photo Shoot

Wednesday was the day Money Magazine sent in a crew of four: 2 photographers, a makeup person and a wardrobe expert to complete the last step before our story of our satisfying retirement appears in the magazine.

Because the story will appear in the October issue we had to dress in clothing more appropriate for fall, instead of the 115 degree August day it actually was in Scottsdale. 3 hours, outside, pretending it was cool was tough. An hour preparation before the shoot, then another hour of shots inside out home, and the crew finally departed.

Our daughters and our three grandkids were part of the whole project. The kids did a fabulous job, running and jumping on command, playing with toys only when directed, and generally behaving like seasoned professionals. Both our daughters were heavily involved in theater in school, so to them all the activity was old hat.

The photographer took well over 500 shots during that time even though only 2 or 3 will probably make it into the story in the magazine. I finally found someone who takes more pictures than my wife!

It was probably a once in a lifetime experience that we are all so pleased we could do together as a family. My son-in-law was stuck at work so he couldn't be present, but his children did him proud.

The story, with more pictures and more information will also be on the magazine's web site. I'll alert to you its existence.

I though you might enjoy seeing a few photos we took of the process.









13 comments:

  1. I have a subscription to Money (gotten very frugally through Magazines.com with a coupon, so three years for $15!) so I'm looking forward to the October issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this recognition. You certainly deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RJ,

    Thanks for the kind words.

    I hope the article helps folks realize you don't need $2 million in the bank or to work until you are 80 to retire and have a happy, satisfying retirement experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I know someone famous! I will get the issue asap! Loved the inside scoop about pretending it was fall in the sweltering heat. Oh my! Anyway, you are a voice of wisdom and experience not only about retirement but about life, so this is a well deserved recognition for you and your message. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Galen,

    Famous? Probably not. But, as I noted above I hope it gives me the forum to convince more folks that living beneath your means and forgoing instant gratification pays big dividends.

    I've been told the issue will be available sometime after September 15th or so on newsstands, and probably sooner on the web site (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great-and with all the publicity it will help the sales of your next ebook a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Donna,

    Yeah, here's hoping. I'm speeding up the availability of the book on Amazon by a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ralph,

    The closest I got to being a rock star was when I introduced Aerosmith and Jethro Tull to concert audiences in the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, this is really awesome. Here's another compliment for you .... my sister, an accomplished and award winning journalist, was over tonight and we were visiting about writing and I told her how you have a wonderful writing style .... I know you have nurtured it, but it takes a gift of talent to draw from and you have it! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Rick,

    What a nice compliment. Thanks to you (and your sister) for using my name and good writing in the same sentence.

    ReplyDelete

Inappropriate comments will be deleted