May 28, 2012

Satisfying Retirement's Next Book: You Picked it

A month ago I asked for ideas on what the follow up to Building a Satisfying Retirement should be. I was contemplating a couple of different directions, but unsure which way to turn. So, having the BRITW (best readers in the world) I decided to simply ask for your feedback.

Bingo! Problem solved. The consistency in your suggestions have given me the direction I needed. Nor surprisingly, it will involve your active participation.

While I don't have a title yet, the new book will feature interviews with folks who have retired or are close to that stage of life. The book will feature the good, bad, and everyday nature of what makes up this journey we call a satisfying retirement

I will develop a series of questions that take a look at what prompted the person to leave full time work, how the transition has gone, and what struggles have been faced. We'll probe the highs and lows and what the person would have done differently. Relationship issues, managing free time, financial problems, and developing one's passions after work will be dealt with.

The goal is to give those moving toward retirement an idea of what to expect, not from a textbook, but from those who live retirement every day. For folks already retired, I hope the stories will help you look at your own life and decide if there are some adjustments you'd like to make on your journey.

Your part?  I will be contacting some of the bloggers who have become an important part of this blog and ask for their help. I will also solicit any reader who would like to take part to contact me when the time is right, as well as search out others for input. Obviously, I won't be able to include everyone but I am hoping to get the full range of experiences to profile. Anyone who participates and has a blog will receive a link from their interview directly to their web site. All interviewees will receive a free copy of the e-book.

The timetable is not yet firm, but my goal is to have the book ready by late fall. As the days go by look for additional posts that will let you know how things are going and when I'd like you to contact me if you are interested in participating.

A deep appreciation for your thoughts and suggestions that have taken me this far. Together we should be able to produce something we all can be proud of.

17 comments:

  1. Great idea Bob! Having it ready by fall will really keep you busy. I'm looking forward to following your progress. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Florence. I am developing the interview questions now and then will develop a schedule to take me to completion. I doubt I'll get bored this summer.

      Delete
  2. Bob, as part of my satisfying retirement I usually try to cut back on my inside paperwork so that I can enjoy more outside activities. It looks like you are piling it on my friend! Good luck, this is a book I look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer time in Phoenix is a good time to concentrate on the indoors paperwork!

      Delete
  3. Good idea. We're all in this together, after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are. You'll be one of the folks I'll want to include!

      Delete
  4. Bob, best of luck. I'll look forward to reading the final results as much as I look forward to your blogs, with anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're on to something here. Good luck with the research, and pulling it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good. I will enjoy hearing retirement from every angle . (a bit tired of hearing "what's your number?")

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I cannot, literally, get enough of hearing about how other retirees - early and otherwise - are choosing to manage both their budget and their lives. We find reading about other retiree's lives to be consistently interesting, inspiring and informative. And there really are not very many of these stories out there currently. Odd, but possibly a result of The Great Recession . . . is the mainstream news media shying away from stories of people actually living well in America in the midst of our current economic downturn?

    I actually think that now more than ever we need these type of encouraging stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't realized such stories are in such short supply though I do know the media seems to prefer doom and gloom. Maybe the stories from the BRITW will start a trend.

      Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  8. Your new book sounds really interesting. I'm what I called semi-retired now, working part time, and I'll start drawing my military pension in October. I plan to work about one more year, to see how the money all works out, and then I will probably officially 'retire' and stop working for pay. So I'll be interested to see what to expect from those who have reached that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then the timing for the book seems just about perfect for you, Cari. I will make sure to include folks who are in your situation (not quite fully retired but getting there).

      Delete
  9. Bob I NEED this book! My husband and I are 57 and always always planning for the future.My idea of retirement and his is different.I will always work some....what that will equal in hours is still unclear.My husband will retire at 62 and plans to do things he will enjoy, still sort of working but possible self employed as we have business ideas and ways we want to spend our time.Hardest hurdle is health care of course.I personally can't wait to reed your book and see what others are doing and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have lots of questions...like most folks do who face retirement. I sincerely hope the final product is one you and hubby will find helpful. I'm excited by the very positive response to the overall approach.

      Delete
  10. oops read your book! see how excited I am ?

    ReplyDelete

Inappropriate comments will be deleted