November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

Across America Thursday is the day we gather with friends and family and give thanks for our blessings. This is my first Thanksgiving as a blogger, so it seems appropriate to take this space and this time to give public thanks.

As this is being written my Mom is under Hospice care and is not expected to live much longer. She has had a full, 84 year life including being married 63 years to a man who adores her. She has raised three sons who love her and are doing well in life. She has seven grandchildren and four great grandkids. It is expected she will die peacefully in her sleep, with no pain. Shouldn't we all be so lucky.

What I give thanks for today is not just the fact of her life, but that she and My Dad moved to be close to me and my family 23 years ago. My wife and I got to enjoy years of parties, dinners, game nights, vacations together, holidays, and memories. My daughters had the incredible bonus of growing up with grandparents as part of their life from early childhood onward. They felt the special love that only grandparents can convey. They enjoyed the fun of an extended family. Their lives are so much richer for having Gran and Grandad by their side.

I am giving thanks for my good health. Except for the normal aches and pains that come with my age, I take virtually no medicine and have no restrictions on my life because of an ailment. It takes work to maintain one's health. With tongue firmly planted in my cheek a post last week raised the question of whether healthy eating and exercise are evil forces in our life. I know that a large part of the quality of my retirement is my responsibility. I am thankful that, so far, so good.

I am thankful for being well fed, clothed, and comfortably housed. I have money in the bank and two cars in the garage. This puts me in the top 1% or 2% of the world's population. Living in this country it is often hard to be aware of how unusual our style of life is among the world's nearly 7 billion people. It is important to remind ourselves that we are blessed and amazingly lucky to be here. No matter how tight your budget, or how long you have to wait for that new blouse or iPad, there are billions of people who would change places with you in a heartbeat. I am thankful for living in America. With all our problems and all the discord at the moment, would you really rather live somewhere else?

A heartfelt thanks for my wife of 34 years , my two beautiful daughters, and my 3 grandkids. They make my life worth living. They make me want to be a better man and a better human.

Finally, a thank you to God and the blessings he has granted me through his love and grace. My faith is central to my life and crucial to who I am. Whatever your religious beliefs (or lack of) I doubt you would argue with me that the world needs our love, needs our concern and involvement, and needs the steady hand of the creator, in whatever form he may exist

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.


If you enjoyed this article, I ask that you subscribe for regular updates sent to your e-mail. It is free and allows you quick notification when I have added fresh content. It is also helpful to me to track readership. Simply click on the Subscribe to - Posts button near the top of the left hand column. I'd appreciate it.

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Bob! I think we need to remind ourselves every day of how much we have to be thankful for. Focusing on the positives in life makes life so much more fulfilling and happy.

    Thanksgiving is a wonderful day which reminds us to be thankful ever day for the blessings we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with my Mom's end of life struggles, it is a day for positive memories and joy. We have so much to be thankful for, it is too bad we don't have more than one day a year to focus on that.

    Happiest Thanksgiving to you, Joan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to browse my favorite blogs today reading about all the things people are thankful for. So in addition to my other blessings, I'm grateful for so many inspiring words! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Galen, for being a new member of my blog family. A happy and bountiful Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your joys. We should all be so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post and much appreciated, as always. Thanks particularly for sharing about your mom. Special prayers and good wishes for her, your dad, and the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, J, for your kind thoughts. It might almost be if Mom passes on Thanksgiving Day. Then, we would be especially focused on the blessing she has been to all of us.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steve,

    I wish for you and your a Happy Thanksgiving and a safe and joyous holiday season. Thanks for being a regular part of my blog family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Bob. Over these past months you have shared many sides of your personal life with us. Although it has not all been easy, you maintain a positive attitude and faith that keeps you going. May we all find such an attitude and faith to keep us happy and thankful this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Dave, for becoming a good blogging buddy these past 5+ months. I wish only the best for you and your family. I am still amazed at the schedule your parents maintain and am envious at how much they do. If I did half that much I'd be happy.

    Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bob,
    REALLY enjoyed your Thanksgiving post today. One of the best reminders I've seen in a long time to be thankful for all the wonderful blessings we have. Let me add to your "thankful" list that I am thankful for your thoughts and ideas that your share each day and for the influence you have had on my life in the short time I've been part of your blog family. I think you have truly found your calling in retirement and I feel fortunate to be a small part of that. You have given me renewed anticipation that I, too, may find my retirement calling. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Don,

    One of the reasons I began blogging was the hope that I could contribute to someone else's retirement journey in a positive way. Your comment today, along with previous e-mails and comments, makes me very happy.

    For you, your wife and son, I wish a joyous holiday season and the blessings of God.

    Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful remembrance of your mother's life. My thoughts and prayers are with her and with you and your family, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A simple and heartfelt, Thank you, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, Bob... Neat post. A great reminder that we all should stop to think of the things we're thankful for. During our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, our family will talk about that very thing. Thanks... and have a joyous Thanksgiving, Bill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by, Bill. I wish the very best for you and your family this Thanksgiving and the holiday season. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bob, I'm so happy you have so much good and abundance in your life. How wonderful your children got to grow up close to grandparents! I wish your mother well in her transition.

    Thanks for sharing the goodness of your life with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And, thank you for being part of my blogging life and family. My memories of my Mom will not be this last year of her life, but the great 83 that preceded it.

    ReplyDelete